Saturday, April 23, 2011

Mind You, I'm Just Trying To Understand S'up With Islam. It's Mighty Confusing At This Point!

Regarding my previous blogs about Islam, I'm mostly thinking out loud by way of those with respect to seeking to understand it. Like most of my friends, I'm still trying to figure out Islam and what Muslims really expect of us non-Muslims and how they view us. Most of what's in the news is kinda scary but then that's what The Media does so I try hard not to make too much of it. Nevertheless, I'm having a hard time figuring out what 'the peaceful side' of Islam is all about, assuming there is such a thing. Evidence of it is sure a lot harder to come by than about the hostile and 'harsh justice' aspect of it.

I have no clue what they mean by peace, for example. What is peace to them anyway? The absence of war or hostilities? That doesn't represent real peace to me. Harmony comes to mind when I think of peace in the abstract. Also, making a positive effort to get along and be tolerant. I sure don't see much having to do with living in harmony (in the active sense of the word, much less the passive sense) either in the Quran or, behaviorally, among Muslims (unless the people involved are all actual Muslims within the same branch of Islam).

No comments: