Saturday, March 7, 2009

Planning The Fly Fishing Trip With Chris Is Progressing














Pics: Upper Sacramemto River, Son Chris

(Note: I'm planning fly fishing trips with both of my sons, Chris and Matt. The one with Matt is later in the year and a blog is coming on that one as more details are known.)

Chris and I will find ourselves on the Upper Sacramento River in early June using our trailer for lodging. I'll be arriving in the area a week or two ahead of him in order to find a good campground, get the trailer set up and scope out the best places for us to spend our time fishing.

Originally we were going to the Quincy CA area (an hour's drive East of the Sacramento River) where I have more fishing experience but environmental concerns have led CA's Dept of Fish & Game to stop stocking rivers in much of Plumas County there. I've heard lots of good reports about rivers in other areas of NorCal so I'm comfortable trying them out. Like a lot of things in life, this unexpected need to change plans will probably work out better. Whatever happens, time with Chris is its own reward as it will be with Matt too when we hit the Mighty Mo together in September.

Since Chris and I are fishing in an area unfamiliar to both of us I decided on one day of guided fishing and picked the Upper Sacramento River which I've always wanted to check out. When I've used guides on other fishing excursions it was always for a float trip by boat. This time we'll be walking which is good because we both prefer that over fishing from boats. The guide, Michael Caranci (The Fly Shop in Redding CA), says we'll be 'pocket fishing' which is also a little different for both Chris and me. It's good to expand our horizons and learn something different so we're looking forward to the experience.

More info coming as more details are worked out. (By the way, the Upper Sac River photo is courtesy of The Fly Shop in Redding CA)

No comments: