Wednesday, February 25, 2009

S'Up With Female 'Barbers'?

Why do female haircutters refuse to cut a man's hair the way HE wants? (Sorry, but I can't bring myself to call them barbers.)

Once again (or rather 'still') I'm shopping for a good barber. Male barbers started getting much harder to find about 20 years ago so, when I move to a new community, my search invariably begins with female haircutters out of necessity. My main beef is that they ALL hate sideburns. No exceptions (at least not that I've found in 20 years).

I want modest sideburns about 1" long and I want them equal in length. Is that a lot to ask? Ha! Apparently it is! I don't care what's currently 'fashionable'. I don't even care if my sideburns don't happen to fill in as thickly as some. For whatever reason (that I can't explain and, in fact, is completely irrelevant anyway) I just like to have modest sideburns. C'Mon, it's MY hair!

It's not for lack of trying to find a good barber because at least 80%, probably 90% of my haircuts in that time have been by females. And I do make the effort to work with them. I've had my current female haircutter since we moved to Roseburg almost two years ago. It's been a struggle to get my hair cut the way I want. Once, after going to her for about a year, she whacked my sideburns completely off but I stayed with her because she promised she'd do it my way. A couple of times after that I told her to leave them alone and I'd trim them at home. She got annoyed with my lack of confidence so I relented and said, okay. I won't say anything again but the 'rule' going forward is: don't shorten them; just square off the end and I'll be the one to shorten them at home with my own clippers when/if I want to. She appeared to agree. Foolish me, I believed her.

To her credit she appeared to try. Then two haircuts ago she blurted out "I don't like sideburns". Well, duh! I should have known it was a lost cause at that point but I resolved to keep trying to work with her. The last haircut was the last straw. Once again she sortened them by about half. This time I didn't say anything but am in search of a new barber. Wish me luck!

I can imagine what you're thinking but, yes, I did give her a nice tip each and every time including a bit bigger one at Christmas AND we talked about 'stuff'. I wasn't a grinch in tipping or conversation. I was always on time for my appointments. (My wife would agree I'm punctual, perhaps to a fault.)

So, what is it exactly with female 'haircutters' anyway? I don't get it even after 20 years of experience with about 12-15 haircutters.

No comments: